Wednesday, May 13, 2009

My Story

My Story…

I grew up in a very loving Christian family and had a pretty easy life compared to many. God has shown me so much along the way and I want to share my story with you; my story of how God has radically changed my life and given me a purpose to live out each and every day.

My dad baptized me on Easter Sunday when I was 6 years old. I wasn’t sure what God was all about, but I had this overwhelming feeling that He wanted my attention. After church that day I came home and told my mom that I felt light as air and was extremely happy. Even though I didn’t know what was to come next I knew one thing - I had made the right decision.

God and the role He would play in my life made more sense when I was in 7th grade and attended our annual summer church camp. We were at worship the last night of camp (designated “cry” night at all camps J) and I went up to the front to join the other youth in worship. It was there that I had another encounter with God. I knew He wanted more from me, He wanted ALL of me. It was there I rededicated my life to Him and began to understand what it meant to ask for forgiveness and be forgiven. But still had so much to learn…

High School…

The years went by and I was in high school. I was a fairly moral kid – I didn’t drink, cuss, stay out late and went to church every week. While I was a good kid my heart wasn’t in the right place. I had morals without grace. I had in my head what was right and wrong and if someone didn’t live up to those expectations I would tend to look down on them. During this time my fear is I pushed people away from Christ by being “religious” rather than loving them unconditionally. A hard lesson that I pray God helps me redeem one day

College...

College was an amazing time in my life. I made a lot of new friends, loved my classes, joined a sorority and loved being involved. I went to church most weekends, mainly because as a Christian that is what you are supposed to do. During my second semester of my junior year I had a startling realization that I hadn’t prayed to God during that entire semester. On the outside I was playing the part of a good Christian, but on the inside my heart was far from being focused on God. I felt a void and knew it needed to be fixed, but couldn’t fathom how to figure out a way to make God the center of my life.

Being Called…

That same year I got plugged into LifeChurch.tv in Stillwater and there God started changing me. I began serving, plugged into a LifeGroup and even went on a mission trip to Honduras. I began to refocus my life in God’s direction and began a crazy journey of learning what it truly meant to be a fully devoted follower of Christ. One day, during my first semester of Grad school, I was leaving the business building after class and was stopped dead in my tracks when God clearly told me “You are going into ministry”. While I love God I had never thought I would be on staff at a church! But His calling to me that day was undeniable – He had a plan. That day I un-enrolled from my upcoming semester of grad school and started looking for a job at a church.

LifeChurch.tv…

The next couple months was filled with a lot of prayer and seeking God for an opened a door. He answered with an incredible opportunity for me to come on staff at LifeChurch.tv. I spent an amazing 3 ½ years at the LifeChurch.tv Central Offices on the LifeGroups/Missions team. God currently has sent me in a new direction and I’m now working on the LifeChurch.tv South Tulsa Campus team. I am in love with my job and the people I get to come in contact with on a weekly basis. I cannot get over that God is allowing me to do what I do for a living!

My Purpose…

Through it all, God has shown me one thing very clearly – “Jessica - give me all you’ve got.” I’m at a place in my life where I want nothing more than to be sold out for Christ. He has put me where I am at this moment in time for a purpose – my prayer is that I am diligent in seeking Him daily and live out my life according to His purpose.

No comments: